Guide for new members
40 YEARS OF PMI-MONTRÉAL (1977-2017)
PMI-Montréal is a non-profit organization (NPO) founded in 1977. With more than 4,900 members, PMI-Montréal is one of the most important chapters of the Project Management Institute (PMI) in the most important association of project management professionals in the world. The collective strength and energy of its members allows PMI-Montréal to distinguish itself from other professional associations in Canada, and abroad.
Mission: to promote best practices in project management and professional advancement in Quebec.
Vision: to be the benchmark amongst professional associations regarding project management in Quebec
In 1976, thanks to Mr. Pierre Ménard, Université du Québec was the world's first university to offer a master’s degree in project management. That same year the PMI-Montréal chapter was created. PMI-Montréal members had started producing project management materials, and with Mr. Ménard proceeded to establish the foundation for mutual collaboration.
- 1986: PMI’s 18th Annual International Symposium takes place in Montreal.
- 1990: PMI-Montréal offers the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification courses and becomes a PMI’s Registered Education Provider (REP).
- 1992: PMI-Montréal is awarded the “Chapter of the year, Region 1” prize.
- 1997-1999: PMI-Montréal is awarded the “Chapter of the year, Region 1” three times in the row.
- 2000: First seminar of PMI-Montréal specific to project management.
- 2001: PMI-Montréal hires its first employee, Denyse-Paule Garneau.
- 2004: Creation of PMI-Montréal’s mentoring program.
- 2004: PMI-Montréal is awarded the “Chapter of the year, Region 3” prize.
- 2005: The first Gala Élixir takes place and the “Project of the year” prize is created.
- 2005: Quartier international de Montréal (or Montreal's International District) is awarded the prize of “Project of the year” of the PMI, putting project management in Quebec on the map.
- 2006: PMI-Montréal reaches 2,000 members.
- 2008: Hatch is awarded the PMI’s “Project of the year” award, continuing the tradition of project management excellence in Quebec.
- 2010: First symposium of the PMI-Montréal.
- 2012: PMI-Montréal is awarded the “Chapter of the year 2012”, the “Leadership, planning and operations 2012”, the “Collaboration and sensitization 2012”, and “Members’ services 2012” prizes.
- 2013: Saint-Laurent’s Bibliothèque du Boisé is awarded PMI’s “Project of the year”
- 2013: SNC-Lavalin/Hatch consortium is awarded PMI’s “Project of the year” for the AP60 project of Rio Tinto.
- 2014: Mr. Benoit Lalonde, PMI-Montréal’s, is awarded PMI’s “Volunteer of the year”.
- 2015: Launch of the first version of the Guide for New Members.
- 2015: Opening of the PMI-Montréal’s training room.
- 2015: Mentoring program for newcomers is implemented.
- 2015: PMI-Montréal grows to 4,000 members.
- 2016: PMI-Montréal is awarded PMI’s “Chapter of the year 2016”.
- 2016: Following its victory at the PMI-Montréal 2015 Gala Élixir, Desjardins received the PMI “Award for Project Excellence” during the PMI Leadership Institute Meeting in San Diego, California.
- 2017: PMI-Montréal celebrates its 40th
- 2018: PMI-Montréal grows to 4,900 members in April.
- 2018: Launch of the second version of the Guide for New Members.