PMI-Montréal project management blog
Why is it critical for project managers to be ambassadors?Author : Henri-Jean Bonnis, President PMI-Montréal
First and foremost, PMI-Montreal is a community of project professionals in Quebec who share the common interest to have the importance of best practices in project management and the value that a project manager brings recognized.
Over the next few months, this blog will focus on each new strategic axis and how the chapter will leverage your knowledge and expertise to bring about a transformation.
The first of the strategic axes proposed by the Board of Directors is to increase the impact and influence of project management and PMI-Montréal in Quebec and within the French-speaking world. The goal is to continue to place Montreal and Quebec project managers as leaders of change and transformation in both the public and private sectors and to demonstrate the value that a certified project manager brings to projects. The only way we can accomplish this is together, as a community, sharing successes and taking a stance against what we see as counter-productive policies.
Taking a stance
PMI-Montréal’s Board of Directors and staff have worked tirelessly for years on positioning the chapter as a PMI leader by participating in global meetings and ad hoc PMI consultation groups and lobbying government bodies, making sure the voices of members in the province of Quebec are heard. These efforts bring us closer to local public entities and the global community.
LE PMI-MONTRÉAL APPUIE LES RECOMMANDATIONS DE L’AUDIT SUR LE PROJET PHÉNIX DU BUREAU DU VÉRIFICATEUR GÉNÉRAL DU CANADA
LE PMI-MONTRÉAL ÉTUDIERA AVEC ATTENTION LE RAPPORT DE LA COMMISSION D’ENQUÊTE SUR L’OCTROI ET LA GESTION DES CONTRATS PUBLICS DANS L’INDUSTRIE DE LA CONSTRUCTION
It is of the utmost importance that people do not see project management as tools and techniques, as monitor and control, but as a strategic asset within their organization. With project management, you can bridge the gap between strategy design and strategy execution. With project management, you can raise the success rate of major organizational transformation by 40%. Finally, with project management, you can have a positive impact on the evolution of our society.
Sharing our successes
PMI-Montréal believes that sharing the passion and career paths of our members is one of the ways we can demonstrate to the larger public that project management attracts all different types of people from around the world who are challenged and excited by their jobs. The PMP Generation blog articles highlight the project manager perspective and the unique skills of our local talent.
- NICOLAS CHABOT, ENG., MPM, PMP, PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL AT CIMA+
- AUDREY SIROIS MSC, PMP, DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR AT HYDRO QUÉBEC
- PABLO ACEITON, PMP, MAsters student in Information Technology at UQAM
- HOUDA OURAGHI, PMP, MANAGER, DIGITAL CHANNELS AND P&C STRATEGIES, NATIONAL BANK OF CANADA
Project Managers are ambassadors of their expertise by doing good work, but they rarely share their successes with the public. The Elixir contest sought to correct this by awarding project managers and their teams who have created value and change by applying best practices to their projects. This year’s recipients can be found here (Link blogue elixir).
Moving forward together
Your role as a project manager is to communicate to your team, the sponsor, the client, and the public that the change you create brings value. As a chapter, our job is to communicate those successes to, local governments, employers and the world. Several initiatives in 2019 will be aligned with reaching those global communities:
- Reaching out more to businesses.
- Launching a social project strategy, “The Collective”, that will empower both young professionals and students seeking project management expertise, and working with PMI Education Foundation and United Nations Sustainability Development Goals to offer greater visibility of our young talent.
- Seeking a wider audience for our web conference series and preparation courses offered online. By leveraging our relationships with PMI France and the increasing number of chapters in French-speaking Africa, we will offer French-language content to other chapters around the world.
- Increasing partnerships with organizations in the regions of Quebec and assuring visibility and services in these areas.
For 2019, we give you this challenge: in the next six months, talk to one person about how project management is cool, sexy and modern.
Share your pride in what you have accomplished in your career.
And we will share our pride in you.